22.10.08

Outwitted

She tries to eat my breath
I shut her in the naughty room when I’ve picked her off my plate
A pea from my dinner clutched in her tiny silken paws
“She’s just a baby”
And the big cat raises his immaculate invisible eyebrows
I fish her out of the dishwasher
He cleans her off
She’s barely as big as his head
And she rules the roost
I think one of us was supposed to be the Alpha cat
But he looks affronted when I suggest it could have
Should have been him
Damn
It should have been me.

4 comments:

Ani Smith said...

Nope. This is the natural order of things. Trust me.

jem said...

Scary and wonderful at the same time. I was hooked from that first line.

Anonymous said...

I want immaculate invisible eyebrows.

(Actually, I want inscrutable invisible eyebrows. Because I misread this.)

Anonymous said...

Ani, I believe you.

Jem, thanks, and I kind of wish she wouldn't do it :)

Roberta, me too! Inscrutable invisible eyebrows is a far better image.